Wednesday, July 6, 2016

First Day with Host Families - Katie Doty

Hello to all of our friends and families! The trip so far has been amazing and it's only going to get better! Today was our first day in our host families. I am staying with Isabel and her parents and little brother, Frederik. Isabel is no longer in school but has to work so I went to a half day of school with Frederik who is in 6th grade. I started the day by sleeping in! Then I had breakfast which consisted of cornflake cereal and apple juice. On the table was also toast and various jellies! Then Brigit and Christian, Isabel's parents, drove me to Frederik’s school. I went to his English class and introduced myself. The class was shortened and very hectic because their was a soccer tournament at the school today. The teacher let them go to lunch a little bit early then head out to watch the game. I watched the practice then Frederik gave me a tour of the school. The building was huge! With so many different rooms. They had various art, technical, and other classes. The building that Frederik attends is 6th-8th grade then there is a building for the older kids. The two buildings are connected which makes for a very confusing tour. There was also a performance of sorts going on. I got to see a small band perform then a dance group. Afterwards was a reception and sale. Although I did not attend either of those I got to see the room all set up and the school shirts they were selling! After that Isabel met us at the school and took me back to the house. Then it was nap time! When I woke up it was around dinner time but before it was ready Frederik showed me his Lego collection! It's so great to see that we have a love of Legos in common! For dinner we had a vegetable soup with noodles. After dinner Frederik and Isabel showed me the playroom in their attic. They had lots more Legos and a record player. We then listened to Made in the USA by Bruce Springsteen. Haha;) After that we went outside to see their garden. They were growing tomatoes, lettuce, potatoes, red,yellow and black raspberries, carrots and more! 
We later watched the European Championship Semi-Finals in soccer! I unfortunately got tired and didn't stay up to watch all of it. It was so fun to see a day in the average lives of a German family! The next 2 and a ½ weeks are going to be so much fun and I can't wait! PS love and miss you Mom, Sean and Kristian!  

1 comment: