Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Köln/Cologne - Isaac Dean

Today we went to Köln, it didn't smell nearly as strong as I expected. Get it? 'Cause it's pronounced cologne and cologne smells strong. That's beside the point though:
First thing I see after I step out of the train station is this massive cathedral. The Dom as they call it. I have only heard tale of this place and lemme tell ya: it's rad yo, but we'll get to that later.

First we went to the sports museum and learned about the first Olympic Games in Greece, and their political significance. Then they tied that in with the two Olympic Games that were held in Germany, first being held in Berlin during the Nazi regime and the second in Munich under a democratic west German government. Those were also politically significant as the first was Hitler's plot to make Germany seem okay and the second to actually show that Germany was all good again.

Dirk Nowitzki
We ate some lunch, I ate most of Noah's fries, and turned my coke bottle into a geyser.

After that we had a little shopping time, I pushed Mathew around (which he enjoyed because I'm the best at maneuvering his wheelchair) then we met back at the Dom.

Dom
Okay, this cathedral is the bomb diggity. They started building this thing in the 1200's and now they're still restoring it because it's sort of crumbling apart, but the massiveness of this church isn't the main attraction, it's what is on the inside that counts: they claim to have the bones of the three wise men. As our tour guide said though (and I'm paraphrasing here) "we aren't even sure if the wise men were a thing, it just says some guys came and gave gold, incense, and myrrh,". The tomb they are in is pretty sick though. It's all gold and it looks like a house so there is some mad symbolism going on there. There was also this stained-glass window that was one made free World War Two that we talked about. Old people generally hated it and the young folk loved it. Overall, it was a pretty dope cathedral.
Group Photo at Dom

After that I ate McDonald's and wanted to die afterwards as I had eaten such a massive amount. 

The train ride back was awesome. That Noah kid is a cool dude. So are Olivia and Nina, I sat with them too. To be completely honest; everyone on this trip is a freakin' sweet homie. Germans and Americans. I think I speak for the whole group when I say we're all having a blast together.

And on a closing note I'd like to say to all of my fellow Americans on this trip: HAH, IN YOUR FACE, I BLOGGED LAST, I WIN THE GAME.


- Isaac "SnaPoint" Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment